Thursday, April 21, 2011

Issues in Cheverly

The two most consistent messages I hear when speaking to my neighbors are first that people are for the most part happy with the services the Town provides.  Of course there is always a way to improve life in Town, including better code enforcement and faster public safety responder response times.  Reducing speeding on town streets is also a major concern.
 
 
The other message I hear is about communication.  My priority will be to interact with the residents in the Ward all year long – not just at election time.  My job on Council is to represent my neighbors and to do that effectively I must remain actively engaged with residents.  Taking concerns to the appropriate official and following through.
 
 
I believe that Mayor Callahan and current Council have done a fine job. They have been able to maintain the quality services and infrastructure of our municipality without having to change our taxes.  They have worked hard to find creative and fiscally sensible solutions and I expect the new Council to follow this example.  Our tax rate has been steady for four years and I see no justifications for tax increases at this point.
 
 
Still, there are issues the Town must face.  One very important issue is the situation with Prince George’s Hospital.  Cheverly could ill-afford to lose that facility and have a deserted campus on its border.  Nor can we miss the opportunity to be involved with any decisions a new operator may make about developing the vast open spaces within the Hospital’s property that border the Town.
 
 
Responsible development opportunities with the Cheverly Metro should be pursued with an eye towards encouraging desirable social amenities like a coffee shop and quality retail.  We must also work with existing commercial interests within Town.  Cheverly must proactively engage our businesses, helping them succeed by providing the appropriate level of policing and code enforcement.  We need establish an expectation of commercial citizenship that benefits the entire community.

Our commercial zones are the gateways into Cheverly and their appearance and use help define our community.  Working together, residents and property owners both need to raise expectations.
 
 
Of course all this talk about development must be tempered with protection of what makes Cheverly desirable in the first place - our natural beauty, tree canopy and open spaces.  I am very proud of the work of our neighbors on Cheverly’s Green Infrastructure Program.  I wholeheartedly offer my support to its implementation regardless of the outcome of this election.
 
 
I look forward to speaking with my neighbors about these and other topics concerning our town.  I hope to earn your vote of confidence.
 
 
Thank you very much.